Kawasaki W650 custom tank

While the W650 tank was off for the plug change, decided to have a look at tank choices.


I picked up this little 125 tank a few years back at Kempton Autojumble, seemed like a good idea at the time, not too rusty.
It's supposed to be from a Suzuki GT125, late 70's I think.
De-bonnefication begins.... so has Autumn.

It's only a 125cc tank so I was thinking it'll look really short on the W650. Weird though that it only just fits, it's right up on the headtube and no gap at the seat.
The W650 tank must then be fairly short as tanks go but blows out to cover more of the engine and get more fuel in.


The GT125 tank is just resting, it would need some work to get it properly secured, but could be a good starting place.
I'm leaning more towards re-working the original tank, I like it's lines. The GT125 tank does look good though, really changes the look of the bike, but going smaller, it then starts to make the seat look wrong to me, too big, then everything else starts looking too big, what d'ya reckon?
With the rider on it though, maybe won't matter I guess.
Bikes that look awesome shot all moody on bikeexif, bike shed, pipeburn etc (mostly) look great, rarely do you see them though with a person on it, actually ridden, real life. The Japanese  bike blogs are great at that bit.




Comments

Popular Posts