W650 Plug Change!

So with every bike, I like to do as much as I can on it, always skills and time dependant though.

As the W650 is new to me, a basic plug check/change, oil change (just done prior), air filter and general bolt tightness check is the first thing I do now.
The bolt tightness thing may sound a bit weird but an SR500 I had a few years back was the culprit. I'd bought it from a local guy, ridden it a couple weeks and by chance had grabbed the rear shock giving it a wash and it moved! the top shock mount nut had come un-done, gulp! Those thumper vibes or a slack previous owner who knows. But whatever... I know check over everything.


So on with the plug change. Tank off, then tried to pull the plug caps off but a lot of struggle, felt like they had bonded to the plugs! So give it some more twist and a big yank and then this weird thing comes out!
Turns out the plugs are buried a good 6 inches into the head and that long plastic thing pushes onto the plug top screw, very odd.
The plugs are thinner than usual so had to buy a new plug socket as the bike hasn't come with its original tool kit.
So, new thinner plug socket on an extension bar got the plug undone but as it's not magnetic the plug then sat there in the head, oh great!
Luckily had a thin extending magnet tool with a light on the end I got as one of those odd ball xmas present amongst others from my Mum years ago! This tool has been knocking around my workshop for about 6 or 7 years, never used, until now..... then suddenly it becomes just the exact most perfect tool I could have wished for. Amazing how these things happen.

So new plugs finally changed, one air filter was dry so now oiled, tank back on and a run up the road and feeling much better.


Comments

Popular Posts