Twin Amal's Pt2


The Ikea roasting tin came in very handy for Operation Amal's!
I've been in touch with SRM Engineering and they've been really good in getting back to me a couple of times as to what to look for for carb guidance.
For maximum performance (adding 8-10bhp) the cylinder inlet valves would need to be gas flowed to 32mm. I measured mine and they are both 31mm.
Other recommendations are: Dynamically balanced crankshaft assembly and a needle roller bearing & oil end feed conversion. Now I don't know if these have also been done but I hope to contact the previous owner to see if he knows.
The carbs run a 180 Main Jet, a 106 Needle Jet and No.3 Throttle valves. The main Jet seems possibly a bit small, what do you think? Trouble is with the warped carb bodies and sticking throttle valve I've not taken the bike upto that range to find out.
So the plan is, until I know what's what with any of the SRM mod's, I'm going to go for a pair of new Amal 930's and spec 190 main jets and get it on the road (Amal will advise on this hopefully). In time if it turns out it's had all the SRM mod's then all good and a change of carbs later down the road could be on.

Comments

Popular Posts